Books and Bites Podcast, Ep. 51
JCPL librarians bring you book recommendations and discuss the bites and beverages to pair with them.
In honor of National Poetry Month, we discuss the fourth prompt in the Books and Bites 2021 Reading Challenge, books of poetry or novels-in-verse.
We’re changing the podcast format up a little bit and dividing this month’s discussion into two separate episodes. Today we’ll each give a detailed review of one book, and then in a couple weeks we’ll air another episode with some brief recommendations from each of us.
- Adam enjoyed the novel-in-verse Black Flamingo by Dean Atta.
- Carrie recommends the award-winning parable-in-poems Deaf Republic by Ilya Kaminsky.
- Michael suggests The Virginia State Colony for Epileptics and Feebleminded: Poems by Molly McCully Brown.
- Accompany Black Flamingo with Mahalepi, a cool, firm Cyprian pudding. Find the recipe on AtoZ World Foods, a library database.
- Pair Deaf Republic with orange-flavored vodka from The New Ukrainian Cookbook.
- A book of poetry set in Appalachia had Michael reaching for a favorite cookbook, Ronni Lundy’s Victuals. This time, he chose the Chili Bun Chili recipe.