Books and Bites Podcast, Ep. 43
JCPL librarians bring you book recommendations and discuss the bites and beverages to pair with them.
On this episode, we talk about comics and graphic novels. It’s the ninth prompt in the Books & Bites 2020 Reading Challenge.
- Dreadful Ed & Mary Scary; written by Andrew Cosby and illustrated by Troy Nixey
- The Gashlycrumb Tinies by Edward Gorey
- Transport yourself to the abandoned village in Black Fire with the traditional Ukrainian village dish of Potatoes with Pork and Shallots, a recipe found in Mamushka by Olia Hercules.
- Raise a glass of Black Currant Vodka to the Night Witches! The recipe can also be found in Mamushka by Olia Hercules.
- A churro’s sweet and crunchy fried dough would be the perfect thing to munch on while reading Nimona.
- Eat breakfast like a queen with a bowl of Instant Pot Oatmeal with Apples and Cinnamon. You won’t need a nunnery kitchen maid to prepare this porridge—just throw everything in the Instant Pot in the morning and let it do its thing while you’re getting ready.
- Pair Dreadful Ed and Mary Scary with anise biscotti. These twice-baked cookies combine anise and almond for a dark, nutty flavor that’s perfect for dunking in a cup of strong coffee. Find the recipe in Spiced from America’s Test Kitchen.
- Have a chill, adult storytime when you enjoy The Gashlycrumb Tinies with Vincent’s Ruin–a bittersweet cocktail featuring bourbon, a hint of absinthe, and St. Germain Elderflower liqueur. Find the recipe in Absinthe Cocktails: 50 Ways to Mix with the Green Fairy by Kate Simon and Lara Ferroni.