Frequently Asked Questions
What is my PIN?
- Your PIN (sometimes called password) is a 7-digit number assigned at time of registration. You can change your PIN online, or ask a staff member to assist you.
- With your Library Card number and PIN you are able to renew your items, download music, movies, magazines and books, as well as search databases and online resources. You also need these numbers to use our public computers.
How do I access my account?
- To renew items, pay fines, place holds, and more, access your account online.
What if I lose my library card?
- If you lose your card or think it might be stolen, please let us know as soon as possible. This is very important because you remain responsible for all card activity until you report the card lost or stolen.
- Keep your card in a safe place and never share your PIN or let anyone else use your card.
How many items may I check out? How long may I keep my items?
Material Loan period Item limit New books 21 days No limit Books 21 days No limit Books on CD 21 days 5 Music CDs 21 days 10 Comic Books 21 days 5 Magazines 21 days 5 Playaways 21 days 5 Playaway Views 21 days 1 Chromebooks 21 days 1 Video games 21 days 2 Fiction DVDs/Blu-Rays 3 days 3 Non-fiction DVDs/Blu-Rays 21 days 3 Instruments 21 days 1 Interlibrary Loans Set by the lending library 3
Can I renew the items I’ve borrowed and if so, for how long?
- Yes, you can as long as a hold hasn’t been placed on the title you wish to renew. Visit your account to renew your items online, call us at (859) 885-3523 or text us at (859) 538-5885 (standard messaging rates apply).
- Items renew as follows:
Material Number of renewals New books 2 Books 2 Books on CD 2 Comic Books 2 Magazines 1 Music CDs 2 Playaways 2 Playaway Views 2 eReaders 2 Video games None DVDs and Blu-Ray Discs 2 Instruments 1 Interlibrary Loans Maybe, please contact the Ask a Librarian Desk
How can I place holds on items that are checked out?
- If an item is checked out, you can place a hold on it in person, by phone at (859) 885-3523 or text at (859) 538-5885 (standard messaging rates apply). You can also request a hold from the library catalog. You need to have your library card and PIN available.
- Holds can be placed on all items except feature movies on DVD and Blu-Ray, video games, reference materials, and magazines.
Where can I return library materials?
- In addition to book drops at the library, book drops are also located at:
- Kroger, 200 E. Brannon Road, Nicholasville KY
Walmart, 1024 N Main Street, Nicholasville
WesBanco, 106 S. Lexington Road, Wilmore KY
- Please do not return Interlibrary Loans and eReaders in a book drop.
- For information about overdue fees and payments, visit our Fines & Bills page.