Under the general supervision of the Community Connections Librarian, Adult Programming Librarians collaborate to plan, host, and organize adult library programming in house, off site, and via outreach. The work requires the Adult Programming Librarians to build relationships with external agencies and community groups and interact extensively with diverse populations.
Duties and Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Plan, implement, and host adult programming
- Compile monthly reports on programs and activities; maintain and report statistics
- Create and distribute promotional materials for upcoming events; collaborate with Marketing team as needed
- Evaluate program procedures and scheduling, make recommendations as necessary
- As directed by Community Connections Librarian, work with colleagues to maintain the adult outreach collection and deliver materials to a variety of offsite locations
- Purchase, share, and maintain tools and supplies with efficiency and economy in mind
- Establish relationships with area programming and outreach staff; actively pursue increased awareness in the field of adult programming and library outreach
- Assist with large-scale all ages events and combined programming
- Promote the library and its services through interactions with community partners and stakeholders
- Attend library conferences and workshops which relate to duties as authorized or recommended by Community Connections Librarian
- Perform other tasks and duties as assigned
- Master of Library Science (MLS), MLS in progress, or other relevant master’s degree
- Experience planning and implementing programming for adults highly desirable
- Must have initiative, energy, and imagination necessary to perform job functions with a minimum of direction, as well as a clear understanding of the mission of JCPL and a forward-thinking vision regarding JCPL’s vital role in the community
- Ability to decipher and relay detailed information
- Ability to develop, implement, oversee, and evaluate effective library partnership programs throughout the community
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with business and community groups as well as media representatives, staff, and the general public
- Ability to plan, organize and implement tasks
- Ability to compile and analyze data
- Ability to program for a variety of ages, particularly adults
- Ability to perform all duties in a manner that displays knowledge of professional library principles, methods, techniques, and procedures
- Ability to maintain required professional certification
- Must be enthusiastic and energetic when engaging in public speaking
- Must be able and willing to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
- Must have valid driver’s license and excellent driving record
- Must be able and willing to drive and operate Library’s outreach vehicles as well as the Jessamine Events Mobile
- Knowledge of and commitment to excellent customer service
- Desire to contribute to the Library’s public service mission with an attitude of helpfulness and friendliness
- Lifting, pushing, pulling, bending, kneeling, and similar movements when the occasion requires
- Moving 50-100-lb. book trucks and handling moderately heavy boxes of books when the occasion requires
- Ability to work in a stationary position for long periods of time (4-8 hours)
- Ability to read shelves for filing and/or identifying materials for extended lengths of time (2-4 hours)
- Ability to view computer screens for extended lengths of time (4-8 hours)
- Ability to communicate and exchange information with coworkers and customers
- Climate controlled environment
- Barrier free work area
- Work area includes public spaces indoors and outdoors
- Full time employment at the Jessamine County Public Library is 38.5 hours per week.
- All employment at the Jessamine County Public Library is considered “employment at will.”
- Hours of work are dependent upon the public service hours of the team. Employees are required to work a flexible schedule that includes evenings and weekends.
- Employees must adhere to library policies and procedures as described in the Employee Handbook.
- All employees are expected to follow the JCPL Confidentiality Policy.
- Work performance is continuously evaluated, new employees will discuss work performance at 30, 60, and 90 days of employment. All employees will have an annual discussion of work performance.
- All employees must participate in Direct Deposit for payroll.
Deadline to apply:
December 8, 2023
- Complete the JCPL Application for Employment (PDF, 294 KB)
- Send application, resume, and cover letter via email to Les Lehman at [email protected]
|Job Category||Community Connections Team|
|Pay Range||$40,040 - $46,026|
|Scheduled Hours Per Week||38.5|
|Retirement||County Employee Retirement System|
|Leave||Sick & Vacation|
|Optional Benefits||Medical, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending, Term Life, Deferred Compensation|