Part-Time Desk Associate: Children and Teen Libraries
Salary: $11.25 per hour
Sunday, 12:45-6:15 PM
Monday, 1-5:15 PM
Tuesday, 9:30 AM-1 PM
Thursday, 9:30 AM-1 PM
Total: 16.75 hours per week.
Under the general supervision of the Children’s Librarian, the Desk Associate is responsible for assisting in meeting the goals of the Community Connections Team. The Desk Associate provides library services and materials to young customers (birth through 5th grade and/or 6th grade through 12th grade). The work requires the Desk Associate to interact extensively with the public and other staff members.
Download the complete Children’s and Teen Desk Associate job description.
- June 23, 2021. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Adult Programming Librarian
Deadline to apply: June 27.
Salary: Commensurate with experience, range starts at 36K.
Download the Adult Programming Librarian position description.
5 Part-Time Positions Available
Pay: $11.25 per hour
The Substitute is responsible for performing tasks related to the circulation of library materials and to the assistance of public computer customers. Because JCPL Substitutes are used in four departments – User Services, Collection Services, Technology Services, and Children’s Services – the employee may report to one of several different supervisors, depending upon in which department he/she is working on a given day. The work requires the Substitute to interact extensively with the public and other staff members.
Duties and responsibilities are assigned by the department supervisors and may vary depending on departmental staffing levels and the skills and experience of the employee. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting customers in the use of library materials and services
- Referring customers to appropriate service points
- Using the library’s automated system to check materials in or out, process holds, register new cardholders, collect fines/fees, and answer general inquiries
- Sorting, organizing, and shelving library materials, including books, periodicals, and media
- Assisting customers with the use of library equipment, including the online catalog and public computers
- Explaining library policies; instructing customers in the use and policies of the Internet
- Reading shelves for neatness and proper order; rearranging or shifting books as necessary
- Answering telephone and directing calls as necessary
- Accepting and confirming applications for meeting room use and explaining relevant policies
- Performing opening and closing procedures, which may include counting cash and recording statistics
- Performing duties related to rotating collections and collection maintenance
- Performing other related work as assigned for the efficient and effective operation of the library
- Undertaking necessary training to obtain/maintain skills necessary to perform job duties
- High School diploma; some college preferred
- Ability to read and write
- Ability to use basic computer programs, including Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of and commitment to excellent customer service to everyone
- Ability to maintain composure while handling customer complaints; desire to contribute to the library’s public service mission in an atmosphere of helpfulness and friendliness
- Good interpersonal and communication skills – in person, by phone, and online
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with library staff and customers of all ages
- Ability to learn, implement, and communicate library policies and procedures
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral communication
- Ability to master the library’s online catalog and automated circulation system
- Ability to see, read, and understand catalog records and to apply the information they contain
- Ability to operate office equipment – including the telephone, fax, typewriter, copier, printer, and other office equipment
- Ability to accurately handle cash and make change
- Ability to be flexible, adaptable, and flourish in a changing environment
- Download JCPL Application for Employment
- Applications will be reviewed as they are received