Sundays 12:45 PM – 6:15 PM
Mondays 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Fridays 11:00 AM – 7:15 PM
Under the general supervision of the Community Connections Librarian, and the direct supervision of the Children’s Librarian, the Community Connections Associate is responsible for assisting in meeting the programming and outreach goals of the Community Connections team, as well as providing library services and materials to customers. The work requires the Community Connections Associate to interact extensively with the public and other staff members. The Desk Associate will be asked to work additional hours as needed and may be asked to cover shifts on another team occasionally.
Duties and Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Assisting with preparation, set-up, and implementation of programs both off-site and in-house
- Participating in the hosting of programs and events both off-site and in-house
- Organizing, preparing, and delivering materials
- Recording statistics, compiling data, and performing data entry
- Promoting the library and its services through interaction with the community
- Acting as a representative of the library in the community by attending various community events
- Assisting with the annual Summer Learning Program and other special events
- Filling in at Community Connections’ service desks as needed
- Performing related work as required and assigned for the efficient and effective operation of library services
- Some college required; BA / BS preferred
- 2 years of work experience in a related field; public library experience preferred
- A genuine caring and respect for children, teens, and seniors
- Ability to work a flexible schedule – evenings and weekends will be required
- Demonstrated ability to form strong and professional working relationships
- Demonstrated confidence in meeting and speaking to the public
- Ability to be flexible, adaptable, and flourish in a changing environment
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, including the ability to decipher and relay detailed information
- Skill in providing excellent customer service
- Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude, strong interpersonal skills, cultural sensitivity, and a sense of humor
- Ability to creatively solve problems as well as negotiate and handle stressful situations in a positive manner
- Ability to be innovative and well-organized
- Ability to use Microsoft Office programs
- Ability to master the library’s online catalog
- Desire to contribute to the Library’s public service mission with an attitude of helpfulness and friendliness
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and excellent driving record
- Lifting, pushing, pulling, bending, kneeling, and similar movements when the occasion requires
- Moving 50-100-lb. book trucks and handling moderately heavy boxes of books when the occasion requires
- Ability to work in a stationary position for long periods of time (4-8 hours)
- Ability to read shelves for filing and/or identifying materials for extended lengths of time (2-4 hours)
- Ability to view computer screens for extended lengths of time (4-8 hours)
- Ability to communicate and exchange information with coworkers and customers
- Climate controlled environment
- Barrier free work area
- Work area includes public spaces
- Full time employment at the Jessamine County Public Library is 38.5 hours per week.
- All employment at the Jessamine County Public Library is considered “employment at will.”
- Hours of work are dependent upon the public service hours of the department. Employees are required to work a flexible schedule that includes evenings and weekends.
- Employees must adhere to library policies and procedures as described in the Employee Handbook.
- All employees are expected to follow the JCPL Confidentiality Policy.
- Work performance is continuously evaluated, new employees will discuss work performance at 30, 60, and 90 days of employment. All employees will have an annual discussion of work performance.
- All employees must participate in Direct Deposit for payroll.
- Position is open until filled. Review of applications to begin immediately.
- Download the JCPL Application for Employment (PDF, 294 KB)
- Email application to Sarah Underwood at [email protected]
|Job Category||Community Connections Team|
|Scheduled Hours per Week||21.25|
|Leave Benefits||Sick & Vacation|