Books and Bites Podcast, Episode 55
JCPL librarians bring you book recommendations and discuss the bites and beverages to pair with them.
On this episode, we discuss the seventh prompt in the Books and Bites 2021 Reading Challenge, Westerns or books that feature cowboys. Saddle up to hear recommendations that go beyond traditional cowboy tales, including a Western vampire novel and a Western with a feminist, dystopian twist.
In the Valley of the Sun by Andy Davidson
- No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy
- The Thicket by Joe R. Landsdale
- Outlawed by Anna North
- True Grit by Charles Portis
- News of the World by Paulette Giles
- The Hearts of Horses by Molly Glass
- The Compton Cowboys: The New Generation of Cowboys in America’s Urban Heartland by Walter Thompson-Hernandez
The Lone Ranger: The Devil’s Rope written by Mark Russell and illustrated by Bob Q.
Adam does not think Cowboy Ninja Viking (written by A.J. Lieberman and illustrated by Riley Rossmo) has broad appeal.
- If you have insomnia like the Kid in Outlawed or just find yourself staying up too late reading, try brewing some lemon balm tea.
To quench your thirst after visiting the desert of West Texas, mix yourself up a Corvette Summer.
Mosey through Cowboy Ninja Viking with a fresh jar of Pickled Mixed Vegetables from The Cowboy’s Cookbook by Beverly LeBlanc. Like the triplets of CNV, Each bite brings a different flavor to the salty, sweet, sour, and spicy mix.