Books and Bites Podcast, Ep. 45
JCPL librarians bring you book recommendations and discuss the bites and beverages to pair with them.
On this episode, we recommend books by Kentucky authors for the eleventh prompt in the Books & Bites 2020 Reading Challenge.
- Madam Belle: Sex, Money, and Influence in a Southern Brothel by Maryjean Wall
- Birds of Opulence by Crystal Wilkinson
- The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman
The Thing About Leftovers by CC Payne
Echoes Between Us by Katie Mcgarry
- Whispers in the Dark by Laurel Hightower
- Hillbilly Hustle by Wesley Browne
- Battletown Witch: Leah Smock, the Evolution of Witchcraft, and the Last Witch Burning in America by Gerald D. Fischer
- Dark Highway: Love, Murder, and Revenge in 1930’s Kentucky by Ann Dangelo
- For Black Girls Like Me by Mariama J. Lockington
- Come and Go, Molly Snow by Mary Ann Taylor-Hall
- The Once and Future Witches by Alix E. Harrow
- So We Can Glow by Leesa Cross-Smith
- In the Shadow of the Valley by Bobi Conn
- At the Center of All Beauty: Solitude and the Creative Life by Fenton Johnson
Breeze through Madam Belle with a tart glass of sour cherry lemonade, made with sour cherries, lemon, simple syrup, and club soda. The recipe can be found in Classic Kentucky Meals by Rona Roberts.
- The spice and sweetness of Heaven Hill Distillery’s Larceny Bourbon pairs perfectly with Laurel Hightower’s Whispers in the Dark.
- You can easily make a pizza that’s better than Domino’s with the recipe for Quick Pizza Dough from the New York Times.