Books and Bites Podcast, Ep. 63
JCPL librarians bring you book recommendations and discuss the bites and beverages to pair with them.
On this episode, we discuss the third prompt in the Books and Bites 2022 Reading Challenge, books recommended by young people. Young is a subjective term, so feel free to define it by whatever seems young to you! Reference Librarian Mycah Sylvain kindly fills in for Michael, who is busy welcoming a new young person into his family.
- Carrie and her niece recommend Cat Kid Comic Club by Dav Pilkey. They also enjoy series that feature strong girls having adventures, including Ivy and Bean, Princess in Black, and Bink and Gollie.
- Mycah’s younger self enjoyed Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine.
- Adam and members of the JCPL Teen Manga Club recommend Kamisama Kiss by Julietta Suzuki.
- Get into the spirit of Dav Pilkey’s potty humor with some dog poo brownies. They’re just regular brownies shaped to look like dog poo. Katharine Hepburn’s brownies bake up nice and gooey for that perfect “disgustingly delicious” taste.
- Since noodles are the next best thing to unicorns, pair Ella Enchanted with a bowl of ramen from the cookbook Let’s Make Ramen: A Comic Book Cookbook by Hugh Amano.
- Why not accompany Kamisama Kiss with some tasty mochi? Make some yourself with a recipe from Mochi Magic by Kaori Becker.