Books and Bites Podcast, Ep. 41
JCPL librarians bring you book recommendations and discuss the bites and beverages to pair with them.
On this episode, we’re breaking out the shorts as we discuss books of short stories, essays and anthologies. It’s the seventh prompt in the Books & Bites 2020 Reading Challenge.
- The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths Vol. 1, written by Brian Holguin
- Jim Henson’s The Storyteller: Sirens, written by Sarah Webb, Bartosz Sztybor, Aud Koch, Chan Chau
- If you’d like to try making your own kombucha to pair with The Book of Delights, we have several books that can help, including The Big Book of Kombucha: Brewing, Flavoring, and Enjoying the Health Benefits of Fermented Tea.
- Read stories about the origins of life on Thra, the birth of Aughra, and the arrival of complex lifeforms while savoring a frozen Kombucha Berry Pop. The recipe can be found in For the Love of Popsicles by Sarah Bond.
- In honor of Adjei-Brenyah’s New York roots, pair his short story collection, Friday Black, with Brooklyn Brewery’s refreshing Stonewall Inn IPA.
- Like Dina in the title story of Drinking Coffee Elsewhere, you can transport yourself to another country with a strong cup of Turkish or Armenian coffee.
- Complement the varied flavors of regional folklore in Jim Henson’s The Storyteller: Sirens with a bubbly, savory-sweet Cucumber Mint Cooler. The recipe can be found in Homemade Soda by Andrew Schloss.
- Take comfort in a bowl of Colcannon, a traditional Irish dish, after reading Burke’s terrifying We Live Inside Your Eyes.